Friday, May 23, 2008

Mary's going away Party







My Good friend and former boss, Mary accepted a Children's minister position in Allen, Texas. Her entire family will be moving there in June, and our Old church held a going away /roast party for her this past week. I was conflicted about going, since Wes just had surgery and wasn't doing so well. So after a lot of praying, and convincing from Nathan and my Mom, I decided to go. I am so glad I did. I was so excited too- because it was a COMPLETE surprise to her. Polly even said that morning, Mary mentioned she was bummed that I couldn't be there.



The party was wonderful! It was funny, but it was also a great way to honor Mary. Mary is an incredible person. She has a great sense of humor, and a great outlook on life. I worked under her for 3 years, and I loved every minute of it. When I got pregnant, I thought I was going to have to quit my job working at the church. There was no sense for me to work, and have my baby in day care. When she heard I was going to quit- she said "are you crazy...just bring him along.!" It was so nice. The converted to office to make it baby friendly, and the first 18 months of Wesley's life, he came to the office with me, and played while I worked. All my pals in the office became second Mom's/ Mimi's/ Aunties to him, and Wes would walk in his walker up and down the office....sometimes even scooting himself in to the Pastor's office, and hanging out in there.



During the time that I worked there an unlikely group of friendships formed. There was someone in a different walk of like. Polly is in her 60's with children raised....and the biggest "trouble" maker I have ever met!! She is the life of the party, and I love being with her! Ellen (Wesley's God Mom) is in her early 50's with one teenage son, and is big time prude. We loved teasing her, and she is very straight laced. Patricia is in her 40's married with 5 kids, and hilarious. She's quite a diva! Mary is in her mid 40's and has 3 girls. She is sorta in the middle of the road. She could let her hair down, but was still somewhat straight laced. Joni is one of our Pastor's wives (we had 3). She is from the south, and probably the cutest classiest person you have ever met. We also called her the "Wesley Whisperer" because she could ALWAYS get him asleep!We all worked together in the church office. If you could call it work!! We loved being there, and laughed all day long!! We got our work done, but we also went out for 2 hour lunches, and just talked and giggled the whole time. I loved working there, and when we moved, I was most upset about quitting my job there! These women taught me so much about life, faith, motherhood, and friendship. I taught them about pop culture, styles, thongs (they are all scared of them...lol) and about the Internet, ebay, and how to do things on the computer. They were there for me through out my pregnancy, and right after I had Wesley. We'd take road trips together, go to chick flicks, had a regular Bunco night, go shopping, and our families would BBQ together. I swear...one day...I am going to write a book about all of our adventures :)

Here's the Gang, from Left to Right-

Mary, Polly, Patricia, Ellen, Joni (Pastor's wife), and me

We are all looking a little tired...we stayed up until 4 am talking that night...lol....some things never change!

No comments:

Post a Comment