Tuesday, May 20, 2008

30 plus hours in the hospital...ugh

So, Sunday night after I got my hair done, I got home and Wes was still asleep. I left at 11:30, and he was laying down then to take his nap (earlier than usual, but he asked to go to bed, and he's on Lortab (very strong pain meds), so I didn't think much of it. When I got home at 4, and he was still asleep- I was worried. So was Nathan. He woke up soon after, and was still cranky, and clingy. Again- I thought.."well...he did have major surgery." Wes was giving us problems drinking/eating after we brought him home on Friday. So I was using my medicine syringe, and pumping him with fluids that way. I guess it wasn't enough.
Monday morning, we woke up, and Wes had stayed dry all night. I was worried, I had only changed one pee diaper the day before, so I called our ENT. Sure enough- he was dehydrated, and we had to check into the hospital.
We got to the hospital, checked in, got the IV started right away, and they also put Wes on a steroid that will help the swelling of his throat. So...I made a quick run to Target (we live over 30 minutes from the hospital), bought Wes a few Thomas trains, and a new pair of PJ's... I got a few trashy Star magazines to keep me busy, and I sent Nathan home. He was reluctant. He wanted to stay, but I insisted, I thought it would be better to have one over tired parent rather than two.
Wes went asleep at about 8, Nelson and Anna stopped by...which was so sweet, and they left around 10. Wesley's nurse came in and gave him another dose of steroids, and changed his IV bag. I thought we were set for the night. I settled in on my fold out bed couch thingy (which was just AWFUL...I have a REALLY bad back, and can't just sleep anywhere), and around 11, the circus came to town...lol...
The steroids make Wes really pumped up, fidgety, and restless. He thrashed in his crib, and was setting off the IV alarms. Literally almost every 15 minutes it would go off. Finally around 1 am, it stopped. After that Wes woke up 3 times and asked me to hold him. Each time, I got up, rocked him to sleep, then put him back to bed...climbed back into my "bed" and about 30 minutes later, he was calling me again. Then he wanted juice...so had to go to the kitchen( they had a stocked kitchen on the Pediatrics floor to get him juice). So at about 4 am....the night nurse came in and changed Wesley's IV, gave him more steriods...ugh....and took his vitals. So...at 5 am....the thrashing, kicking, craziness went on again. The nurse gave him some Lortab, and he fell asleep. He woke up at 7:30 am.....and was asking for Ice Cream. He ate 4 three ounce cups, and watched TV, and we tried to get him back to sleep. Nathan came at about 7ish, and was trying to help....but we couldn't get him asleep. We took him to the little playroom (try chasing a 2 year old around in a playroom with an IV cart...not fun), and walked around the floor. At about 10, I begged the nurse to go home. I mean begged. I told her that he's been here for 24 hours, he got fluids, he's drinking/eating/peeing....we want to go home so we can sleep. At that point I am tired, feeling grubby, and my back is killing me. The nurse said " As soon as the Dr. is out of surgery, he'll stop by here, and check on him, and I'm sure he'll send you home." Ok...so we went back to trying to get Wes to sleep...more steroids at 10 am...great... we listened to him scream and cry...and finally at 4pm, I said "Enough." I went to the nurses station, and demanded to talk to a Dr. Any Dr. -anyone who could get us out of there. By this point Wes had purple circles under his eyes because he was exhausted. I am no doctor...but my son needed sleep to get well...and OBVIOUSLY these steroids were the problem.
So...low and behold...5 minutes later- his ENT was on the phone. At this point I am in tears, begging him to release us. Poor guy. He was tied up in a surgery all afternoon, but apologized profusely. Also, he said " Why didn't his night nurse call me and tell me what these steroids were doing to him?" UGHHH.... I don't know.....
So...after we hung up with him, The nurse came in and said " OK...you can go." We got home at 5:30, I got Wes to eat some yogurt, and juice, and he went right to bed. Poor baby.
I am still up thinking, and praying about what to do tomorrow. I have a plane ticket to go to Orlando for a 24 hour trip, to attend a good bye party. I was suppose to speak at it also. My Mom will be with Wes, and is planning on spending the night with him also, but I am not sure if I should go or not. I am having a hard time leaving my baby :(

No comments:

Post a Comment