Friday, June 13, 2008

Our House



We are coming up to our one year anniversary in our new state and our new house! Wow! Time flies when you are having fun! We love it here in Georgia. Life is a little slower, and I like it that way. In Florida, Nathan was working 65 plus hours a week, at this crazy title company. Though he was being paid very well, this wasn't the type of family lifestyle we wanted. His job and boss were very stressful.

When we decided to move to Georgia, it wasn't a job transfer or a chance to be closer to a relative. We decided to move to get away from the crazy hustle and bustle of Orlando. Where the cheapest house you can find is over 300K, where the crime is getting out of control, and where the traffic is the constant talk of the town. We wanted a small town to raise our family.

We originally were looking in Watkinsville, Georgia, which is closer to Athens. But, we couldn't find a house that we were in love with. So, we kept looking. I spent countless hours on the Internet looking at houses, and towns. Reading about crime, school districts, and taxes. Our Realtor suggested Jefferson. "Sure...why not" So in April 2007, we came up specifically to look at houses in Jefferson, and see the town of Jefferson. We fell in love with it. The school district is the second best, crime is low, and traffic....what traffic?! Our house....ah....I LOVE OUR HOUSE! When we bought our house in Orlando, Nathan and I both knew that it would be our "starter" house. This house- we plan to raise our children in. This is the house that we want our Grandchildren to spend Christmas with us. Sleeping in their parent's room. I love looking around our house and thinking- one day Wesley will get ready for prom in that bathroom. One day, Wesley will ride his bike down that driveway. One day....we'll bring our next child home through that front door. Holidays will be spent in our living room, birthday parties in our backyard, meals made in our kitchen and play dates in our playroom. Memories will be made in this house, and that is why I wanted "the perfect" house when we moved. I know that a family and the people make the memories, but I love knowing that we aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Its comforting to have that "familiar spot."

The icing on the cake is having my Mom around the corner. Really- its awesome. Wesley can ride his bike to her house, she can come over everyday if she wants, and we usually eat dinner together 2-3 times a week. I love that we can look after each other.

I know that my house isn't some mansion, with granite counters, or custom made anything, but it suits our family very well. We are really happy with the size and layout. I remember when we first saw it- I knew that it was the "one." I am so grateful how everything fell into place, and how everything worked out. Nathan was able to find a job 3 miles from our house. The pay is about 20K less than what we were used to in Orlando....but you know....we are doing just fine and we've adapted. Life is simple and sweet, and I feel like I am where I should be.
(Ps- a special thanks to Sara who did everything she possibly could to get us here!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment