Sunday, August 3, 2008

In my mind I'm going to Carolina.....

Wow! What a great family weekend we had!! We had a little bump in our plans on Friday. Our good friend Brandi and Tim, along with their son Ryan (who is about the same age as Wes) were planning on going to North Carolina with us. We went half on the cabin and were planning to ride together and take the boys to see Thomas. Friday morning I got a call from Brandi that her brother in law, Mikey (Tim's brother) was in a car accident and was killed, so they had to take off to Texas. Please keep them in your prayers, their hearts are hurting big time right now, and I was already worried about Brandi before this happened (she my super sick friend pregnant with twins), and now I am even more worried about her.
So....it was just the three of us. I was very disappointed at first, but it turned out to be great! Wesley slept the whole way to NC (which is only 2 hours from here!) and Nathan and I got to talk A LOT uninterrupted, and listen to music, which was so nice! We got to the cabin (which by the way was on top of this huge mountain, and it was very cute) at about 6:30, had dinner, and put Wes down for the night. Nathan and I played some cards, and Yahtzee and planned for our next day. We really had the day open on Saturday, and toyed with the idea of going to Gatlinburg since it was only 30 minutes away. We decided not to, one because we didn't want to drive that far, and two Nathan's Mom just got back from Gatlinburg and she said it was really trashy. So.....we found a toy train museum (Over 7000 toy trains!!) in Bryson City (where our cabin was) and thought...hmmm....that sounds like something Wes would like! So we got a yummy breakfast a great coffee shop, and headed there. There was so much to do there that we ended up staying there all morning. Wesley was in heaven, and loved it all. I could not believe how much detail they had for these model trains. So after we left there we got some lunch at a cute local place (I love eating at local restaurants!) then headed back to the cabin for a nap. After our nap, we headed to the Smoky Mountain park to see some waterfalls. The park was really busy with tubers (Wes wants to do that so bad) and hikers. We made it to one waterfall, because Wes got tired and hot and poor Nathan had to carry him up the mountain. Then we decided to cool off in the creek by dipping our feet in....it was soooo cold!! After that we played at cute park nearby and had dinner at another cute local restaurant. After dinner we got Ice Cream, and listened to some live Bluegrass music in the town square. I wanted to head back to the cabin early because I knew we had a busy day ahead of us on Sunday,and I didn't want to drive up that mountain at night!! Certain areas on the drive were one lane only....scary! I had a great 28th birthday with my boys!! :)
Sunday was Wesley's big day!! He has been talking about this, and dreaming about this for about a month. We drove into Dillsboro and got to the Thomas attraction at about 8:30, and we finally saw THOMAS!!! For those who don't know, my baby loves THOMAS! Its all he plays with, and its the only type of underwear he will wear (now that's a true fan...lol). When Wesley saw Thomas he was in shock. Not smiling, not crying, just in awe. It was our turn to ride Thomas at 9:45, and it was a cute train ride (I'll upload video of it...because I can!! Thanks to my new camera...lol). Wesley kept saying " I'm riding Thomas!" At one point I looked at Nathan while we were riding Thomas, and Nathan had tears in his eyes. I said "whats wrong?" He sad "I just love seeing Wesley this happy." Awww...Nathan is such a good Daddy :) There was plenty of things to do (and buy) after you ride Thomas. I think Wesley liked playing with the Thomas train tables the most. I had to laugh, because Nathan said he wanted to get Wes one, so he went in to price them...and quickly came back when he heard that they are almost 500 dollars. We settled on a t-shirt and a few trains instead :)We left around 1, and Wes slept the whole way (again, lots of good talking fun time with Nathan) got home at about 3:30, and relaxed and had dinner at my Mom's. It was such a sweet weekend!! I am so happy NC is so close, I am already excited to go back! There is so much to do!
I'll leave the computer up so it can upload all the 200 pictures on to Kodak. They should be up in the morning. Can I say it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a cute family picture with a 2.5 year old??!

No comments:

Post a Comment