Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Couponing 101


I have had lots of people asking me coupon questions lately, so I thought I would blog about it. FYI- These are tips for my Georgia Mommies! Check your store about doubling coupons etc. Each area is different. If some of you Georgia Momma's want, I can show you at a playdate or we can have a coupon night at my house. I have always been a frugal shopper with our groceries, and have used coupons. In Florida I would play the "Grocery Game." I got out of it for awhile because- well our life was a bit crazy with moving and everything, but now I am back to doing it. Again, since we have slashed our Grocery budget to almost half, its just more money towards student loans!

1. In Georgia, Publix, Kroger, and Ingles will double coupons any day up to $0.50. So if you have a $0.25 off coupon, it becomes $0.50; $0.50 becomes $1.00....etc. This is so awesome, I just can't tell you! But I get so annoyed when I see 55 cents off coupons now! haha

2. You can use both store coupons and manufacturer's coupons on the same product. Store coupons (like the ones that Publix and Target have) are considered store sales, while manufacturer's coupons are from the manufacturer so the stores will be reimbursed for that money. Publix is great about having a sale circular with Publix coupons at the front of the store every two weeks. Pick up a few copies. I am not sure about Walgreens or Rite Aid. I am not into Walgreens or Rite Aid because you have to fill out rebates, and I hate doing that stuff. Most of the couponing blogs will have stuff about them, so if you want to start with those guys, I can't be much help with that.

3. For BOGO's (Buy one, get one free), you don't have to buy 2 to get the deal they ring up the item at 1/2 price. You can use coupons on both the "buy one" and the "get one" which means even more savings! These are sooooo GREAT! This is the best time to work on your stockpile (I'll explain that in a second).

4. The "Blinkie" coupons in the store aisles are a great place to look. When they're a really good coupon, stock up. The item might go on sale at a later date, or might be on sale at another store. But don't get greedy. I have seen people take all the coupons. That's just not right. Do you really need 30 coupons for pasta that is expiring in a month?

5. Find blogs like that do most of the legwork for you- I am going to post my favorite at the bottom of this post. They will look at the Sale ads in the area store , tell you what's on sale, if it's a good deal, and if there are coupons for it in the Sunday paper. Also, some of these sites will let you know if Internet coupons are available. Internet coupons are amazing! These blogs are amazing too! There are times that I don't even look at Sales ads in the paper, and just totally look at their ad online. I just recently discovered these blogs a few months ago, and I am addicted to them.

6. Find coupons online. There are lots of sites where you can print off coupons (and even multiples!) and use them in the store. There are times that things are BOGO, and I go online to the products websites and see if they have coupons. I'll list some good coupon sites at the bottom of this post too.

7. BUY a Sunday Paper....actually buy 2 of Atlanta's Sunday paper. They are 2.50 on Sunday for a double edition- double coupons. Trust me- its worth it. Sometimes we go back, and get and get 4 papers. You will make your money back! Its especially helpful to have two of the same coupons when its BOGO.

8. Stockpile. Stockpiling is when you buy multiple non perishable items at once. For instance this week I bought 15 deodorants. Does Nathan have that bad of B.O.? Of course not, but this means we will never need deodorant, therefore we will not have to pay full price for it. The goal is to never have to need or be out of anything, so that you can buy it at your leisure and at the best sale price. We have over 10 bottles of Shampoo, 8 bottles of Juicy Juice, 6 bottles of bleach, 50 rolls of toilet paper....etc....I got those items for a great price, I stocked up when they were on sale, and now I don't have to buy them until they are on sale again (usually items are on sale every 4-6 weeks, you will start to see a pattern). Meat is also a good thing to stock up on. This weekend actually we are buying a small upright freezer for our Garage. When we left Florida, I gave my Mom our old deep freezer, and now I am missing it! I don't buy chicken breasts unless they are about 1.99 a pound, same with Ground Beef.

9. With the stockpiling- GIVE. This is important. You know people who could use help, or donate to a food shelter. Those 15 deodorants I got free this week, 10 of them are going to the food bank. You will be blessed by helping those in need. Not everyone has the time to cut and organize coupons. There are so many people out there that will be so blessed by your efforts.

10. Don't buy stuff that you don't already buy. Now, If Splenda is on sale, and you never use Splenda, even if its a really good sale, don't buy it. The purpose of this is not to accumulate "stuff." We all have enough stuff. The purpose of this is to save you money on things you are already buying.

11. Be flexible in your brands. So what if you usually use Betty Crocker- try Duncan Hines...you might like it better. I have to say- there are a few things that I can not budge on. I have to use Gain Detergent. I love Gain. I also love Cottonelle toilet paper. But, still I find it on sale, and ONLY buy it then.

12. BE HONEST. First and forth most. Don't try to use coupons that you shouldn't be using, like when it says to buy two and you only buy one- that's lying. Sure you could probably sneak it past the poor overworked cashier who is making $6.00 an hour but why would you put your integrity and reputation on the line to save a dollar. I know some that use a CVS coupon that was not intended to be copied and mass produced (it says it on the coupon), but people still use it, knowing full well they aren't supposed to, just to save $2.00. Its technically Fraud- actually it is fraud, and I am not into ripping people off. (sorry to any of my friends who use that coupon, but its the truth) Also, buying coupons on Ebay is illegal. Yes it is. If you don't believe me, look at their auctions- all of them say " The coupons are free, but you are paying for my time." Thats a red flag. Don't promote people doing illegal things and looking for loopholes to get around it. I learned this mistake after I bought the coupons, I read more on it- and its illegal. Coupons are not intended for sale. They say it on the coupon. I keep things honest, and I follow the rules. That's my personal beliefs.

13. Be Choosy, where and when you use your coupons. You have to figure out the best deal. Don't buy something just because you have a coupon. Wait for it to be on sale!! Sometimes an item will be on sale at CVS and Publix, and I have to figure out where the best deal is.

14. Make a list and stick to it! The only exception- Clearance, and add a coupon, usually you get stuff free or they will pay you! For example a few weeks ago, I was rummaging through the Clearance shelf at Publix (discontinued items)and found Plug ins for 50 cents each. I had coupons for 50 cents off, well Publix doubles all 50 cent coupons, right?So....I used my coupon, and bought the plug ins, and Publix paid me 50 cents to buy the product! It happens a lot...so bring your coupons with you, and have them organized!!!

15. Organize your coupons, anyway you like, and the best system for you. If they are organized, it will go so much easier and smoother for you!!!

16. Store will take competitors coupons! For the past few weeks, Walgreens has been posting an online coupon for $10.00 off a $40.00 purchase, print it out (you are allowed on this one) and use at Publix or Kroger! Saving $10 bucks right off is pretty sweet!! Publix coupons can be used at Kroger, and vice versa!

Getting started with CVS is tricky, give yourself a few weeks grace, and you'll get it down. Also, it takes time to save up Extra Care Bucks (ECB). http://www.iheartcvs.com/ is an amazing site if you are getting started, they will explain it all to you. CVS has helped me so much, because now, I buy all of our Toiletries, cleaning, medicine, cosmetics, etc there and I get them for free or next free each week. You will start a cycle where you pay with ECB's and get back ECB's each week. Check out the CVS for Newbies section on iheartcvs, they will answer a lot of questions!

Here are a some of my Favorite sites:

http://attentiontargetshoppers.blogspot.com/
http://www.couponcravings.com/
http://www.economicendeavors.com/
http://fiddledeedeeblog.blogspot.com/ (MY FAVORITE! I LOVE HER! She focuses on Publix)
http://freebies4mom.blogspot.com/
http://www.kingdomfirstmom.com/ (another favorite- honest couponer)
http://www.moneysavingmom.com/
http://www.stretchingabuckblog.com/ (good Kroger info)
http://thecentsiblesawyer.blogspot.com/

Coupons online:
Check products web pages!
http://www.coupons.com/
http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/Coupons/
http://www.couponsinc.com/corp/source/cp_clientlist.asp

Happy saving, and let me know if you need help!! :) You will be amazed how much you save!!! Let me know how you do!!! I hope you found this helpful, my fingers are numb from typing so much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment