Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Collide

As a Christian, I feel like I am hypocrite at times. I'm learning, and I am big hot mess of a work in progress. I know that I have been guilty of not accepting people for who they are. I will be the first to admit that I'd rather avoid conflict and mess people than deal with them. The fact that I amr not accepting and loving towards EVERYONE- including those who are not morally aligned with my beliefs is against the Gospel. I will NOT win people to Jesus by what I say or do, it will be by LOVING them. I need to show "outsiders" (I hate that term) that I am doing exactly what people aren't expecting me to do- cooperating with those I "shouldn't."

I need to take a chance and be willing to collide with people. Step out of my comfort zone, let go of my ego, and humble myself. We are called to collide with all people- even those who make us uncomfortable- because according to our Gospel, EVERY human on our planet has a fragment of God's image in them.

Last week I was making copies at the Lighthouse (our church property), Wesley and Allie were with me. Wesley ran up to me, very excited, and told me he saw a picture of Grace Ann and Catherine. I questioned him, and asked him where. He said "Look Mommy!" and pointed to the newly hung Belize mission poster that had a collection of photographs from the trip on it. I looked closely, and Catherine was sitting there smiling and holding a black child. I laughed, and said " no honey, that is not Grace Ann." He said " But Mommy, it's a little girl, and it's Ms. Catherine." It NEVER entered his mind that this child was black. Wesley saw no color.

The reason I am posting about this story is because I need to lose any preconceived notions about people. I need to unlearn everything....and have faith like a child. In Matthew 18:2 it says "He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Children have a beautiful sense of innocence and acceptance, and at some point we become "too smart" and unlearn that acceptance. Our egos get in the way, We start to worry about what others will think of us. Children on the other hand are accepting and loving no matter what race, gender, etc. They are judging people when they first meet them. Everyone is a new "friend" to Wesley!

There are no "one way" relationships. If I want to grow, and I want people to know and love Jesus, I MUST collide.

What if you reminded yourself everyday that the people around you were created by God? How would it change the way you see them? Even the person who hurt you, cheated you, or used you....was made by God and He loves them unconditionally. Give you a pretty good foundation on each person from the start, huh?

One of my favorite quotes is by George Washington Carver "How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these." I was, and I will be again.

I know that I have sinned in my past against others (and lets face it, no one is perfect, and I will disappoint and sin again), and I know that I have not been quick to forgive people. I know that this will not make all relationships new again, and I know that there some relationships that are basically done with. Though it makes me sad at times, I am learning and moving on from things in my past. I can't control things that are in the past or change it, but I can change my future.

Ok, that's my thoughts for the day. I am logging off. My hardwood floors need some attention while Allie naps this morning, and then we are off to go shopping in the wonderful town of Winder. Target, Publix, and Home Depot, and a stop at the new ChikFil-A for good measure!! I am really trying to journal, so a lot of my blogs are going to be more journal type. I'll have stuff about the kids too...but I am trying to write about more than that...

1 comment: